Mental Health Resources for Canadians
The COVID-19 pandemic has not been easy on Canadians’ mental health, with many people struggling with fear, uncertainty of the future, sadness, and isolation.
Now more than ever, it’s important that we take care of ourselves and others by accessing virtual health resources and mental health tools. No matter how long this crisis lasts, we’re all going through this difficult time together. Listed below are several resources to check-out for those struggling with their mental health or looking to educate themselves on mental illness:
- Mental health and substance use website launched in response to growing mental health concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Resources (at no cost):
- Immediate text support
- Information and videos on common mental health issues
- Mental wellness programs you can do on your own and with coaching
- Monitored communities of support
- Individual phone, video, and text counselling
Resource Hub – Mental health and wellness during the COVID-19 pandemic (Mental Health Commission of Canada)
- Research centre that offers curated, evidence-based information to stem the tide of non-essential information and pare down news consumption
- Website provides credible COVID-19 updates and information, a guide to external COVID-19 resources, and a guide to government resources
COVID-19 – Mental health and well-being (Canadian Mental Health Association)
- The most established, most extensive community mental health organization in Canada. CMHA provides advocacy, programs and resources that help to prevent mental health problems and illnesses and support recovery and resilience for all Canadians.
- Mental health services and supports
- Guide to finding your local CMHA
- Mental health assessment quiz
- Evidence-informed publications
Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health)
- One of the world’s leading mental health research hospitals. CAMH’s research informs public policy and transforms perspectives on mental illness and suicide around the world. Their website provides services and supports for people living with mental illness and addiction(s).
- Suicide prevention tools and resources
- Free online courses on mental health (Mental Health 101)
- 24 hour crisis lines
- Research-informed educational materials on mental illness
- Services, resources, and supports for people living with mental illness and addiction(s)
Impacts of COVID-19 on Substance Use (Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction)
- CCSA provides trusted information on COVID-19 and substance use.
- Their website offers a collection of trustworthy and credible resources from websites and organizations from around the world, as well as publications from their own experts
- CCSA also often hosts webinars and other informative events
Resources on COVID-19 for public safety personnel (Canadian Institute for Public Safety Research and Treatment)
- CIPSRT provides a Canadian Knowledge Exchange Hub for strategic public safety wellness research and analysis by working with public safety leaders and academics from across Canada to translate and mobilize research knowledge that meets the current and future needs of Canadian public safety personnel (PSP), their leadership, and their families.
- Self-assessment tools
- Internet-delivered therapy for PSP (PSPNET)
- Online course to help individuals with thoughts, behaviours and physical symptoms of depression, anxiety, and PTSD
- Mental health FAQ
- Canada’s only 24/7, national support service.
- Instant, professional counselling by phone, text, Facebook Messenger and/or live chat
- Information through a wide range of articles
- Volunteer-led, text-based support to young people in both English and French