The new Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS)
Applications are now open as of November 23, 2020: Apply Here!
This innovative rent subsidy would support struggling businesses, charities, and non-profits by subsidizing their expenses up to a maximum of 65% until December 19, 2020.
- Our Government is proposing to provide simple, easy-to-access commercial rent and mortgage support until 2021 to employers who have been affected by COVID-19.
- Through the new Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS), the hardest hit small businesses would receive a subsidy of up to 65%.
- We are also providing Lockdown Support of an additional 25% for businesses that are subject to a lockdown under mandatory public health orders.
- With the additional Lockdown support, businesses can receive up to 90% rent support.
- We’ve worked closely with small businesses, and the new rent subsidy will be better targeted, easier-to-access, and go directly to small business tenants (not via landlords).
Top-up if temporarily shut down by a public health order:
- A Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy top-up of 25 percent for organizations temporarily shut down by a mandatory public health order issued by a qualifying public health authority, in addition to the 65 percent subsidy. This follows a commitment in the Speech from the Throne to provide direct financial support to businesses temporarily shut down as a result of a local public health decision.