Today, our government was happy to announce the introduction of processes to support family reunification, entry for compassionate reasons, and the safe and gradual entry of some international students.
More specifically, these processes will provide for the entry of:
- Certain extended family members of Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents, including those in an exclusive, long-term dating relationship of at least 1 year and their dependent children, as well as adult children, grandchildren, siblings, and grandparents
- For more information please visit the following link: Update on Travel Restriction Exemptions for Extended Family Members
- Foreign nationals for compassionate reasons in specific circumstances, such as life-threatening illness, critical injury, or death, with potential limited release from quarantine.
- International students, starting October 20, if they will be attending a designated learning institution that has been identified by their provincial or territorial government as having a COVID19 readiness plan in place.
- For more information on which institutions are eligible to allow students to travel, you can visit the following link: Update on Travel Restriction Exemptions for International Students
Detailed information as to who may qualify as an extended family member and the process and requirements to be eligible to travel to and enter Canada will be available on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada website on October 8th, 2020.
Our government believes in allowing families to be together while also maintaining effective control of Covid-19. We are not weakening our control of the border; our quarantine measures have been effective and we will continue to build upon them.