As Canadian Universities usher in a new school year this fall, the Government of Canada is taking action to support international students through new measures, listed below:
- International students who had a valid study permit, or who were approved for a study permit on or before March 18, 2020, are exempt from travel restrictions if they travel for a non-discretionary/non-optional purpose.
- Students beginning a new study program in the 2020 spring, summer or fall semesters can begin their classes online from abroad without affecting their eligibility for a post-graduation work permit, provided they are able to complete at least 50% of their program in Canada.
- Introduced flexibility for international students who are in Canada who happened to find work in essential services to work for more hours and acquire experience.
- Allowing international students whose visa has expired to stay in Canada on restored status until the end of 2020, if they apply within 30 days of the expiry.
- Prioritizing processing of visas for international students, but local governments in other countries impacts processes.
- Keeping in contact with provincial authorities and Canadian universities to make sure that International students can continue to contribute to Canada while ensuring the health and safety of all.