Today, Health Canada provided the first authorization for a COVID-19 treatment in Canada, Remdesivir (marketed as Veklury in Canada). The Public Advisory on this drug can be found here.
- Remdesivir is an antiviral drug manufactured by Gilead Sciences.
- Since February, Remdesivir has been tested in several clinical trials in Canada and globally as a potential treatment for COVID-19.
- Today, Remdesivir has been authorized for treatment of severe cases of COVID-19, where a patient requires hospitalization and supplemental oxygen, and will only be administered in a healthcare setting.
- Not every person who is ill from COVID-19 will need this drug, and there is a possibility that some patients will not receive it.
- This drug should not be used without a prescription.